J&K fake encounter case: Final hearing on May 16
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir High Court today adjourned till May 16 the final hearing in the alleged fake encounter case involving Lt General Bikram Singh, the Army Chief designate.
Justice Mansoor Ahmad Mir adjourned the case for final disposal of the petition.
A woman from Macchil area of Kupwara district last year filed a writ petition before the High Court, alleging that her son Abdullah Bhat was killed in a fake encounter in Anantnag in March 2001 and later branded as a Pakistani militant `Mateen Chacha`.
She has sought directions from the court for reinvestigation of the incident in which five persons, including two armymen, were killed.
While Colonel J P Janu and Rifleman Ganesh Kumar were killed, Gen Singh and another officer were injured in the attack. The assailant and two civilians were also killed in the incident.
The Defence ministry, the state government and SSP Anantnag, who have been named as respondents in the case, have already filed their objections to the petition, seeking its dismissal.
According to the objections filed by the defence ministry, Lt Gen Singh, who was then a brigadier commanding the 1 Sector Rashtriya Rifles in south Kashmir, was returning to Anantnag after visiting various army units.
Later, when the army convoy stopped at Janglat Mandi in Anantnag, a militant disguised as a beggar opened indiscriminate fire upon the armymen.
The Defence Ministry has termed the petition as an "afterthought" as it was filed 10 years after the incident took place.
The SSP, in his objections, said the petition was not maintainable and people with vested interests, who had cases of subversion pending against them, were behind it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured