J&K flash floods: 22 people rescued
Jammu: Twenty-two people trapped in flash floods in Kathua and Jammu districts on Saturday were safely rescued by police and locals, officials said.
"After a three-hour-long operation, 22 people trapped in Kathua and Jammu have been safely rescued by police and locals," an official said.
Of the 22 people rescued, 15 were trapped in Kathua and seven in Jammu district, he said.
Meanwhile, a flash flood alert has been sounded in Jammu region, where intermittent overnight rains resulted in the flooding of rivers, officials said.
Water level in Chenab, Tawi, Ujh and Basantar rivers are nearing the danger mark, they said, adding that people living in low-lying areas have been alerted and warned of flash floods. They have also been asked to keep away from banks of the flooded rivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump calls Hillary Clinton 'world-class liar' as war of words intensifies
- United Nations criticizes repression in Bahrain, urges dialogue
- North Korea leader Kim Jong-Un says missile test a success, threat to US
- Brexit: UK goes to polls in knife-edge EU referendum; over 46 million people to decide Britain's fate
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'