J&K freezes in sub-zero temperatures
Srinagar: The cold tightened its grip on Jammu and Kashmir as the mercury plummeted by eight degrees in Leh in Ladakh region to register the season`s lowest temperature and most parts of the Valley froze in sub-zero temperatures.
Leh recorded a minimum temperature of minus 14.1 degrees Celsius last night, against minus 6.3 degrees Celsius the previous night, an official of the MeT Department here said.
It was the coldest night of the winter so far in the frontier town. No fresh rains or snowfall was reported from any part of the Valley, the official said.
The nearby Kargil town registered a drop of over two notches in the night temperature as the minimum settled at minus 8.9 degrees Celsius, compared to the previous night`s minus 6.8 degrees Celsius, he said.
Srinagar, the summer capital of the state, recorded a low of 1.8 degree Celsius, over a degree up from 0.6 degree Celsius the previous night.
The famous ski-resort of Gulmarg registered a low of minus 7.4 degrees Celsius, compared to minus 9.3 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The mercury in Pahalgam hill resort, which serves as a base camp during the annual Amarnath yatra, settled at a low of minus 2.4 degrees Celsius, a drop of one degree from the previous night`s minus 1.4 degrees Celsius.
Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir Valley, recorded a low of 0.2 degree Celsius, same as the previous night.
Kokernag, in south Kashmir, which recorded a low of minus 3.6 degrees Celsius the previous night, registered a low of minus 0.2 degree Celsius last night.
Kupwara, in north Kashmir, recorded a minimum of minus 3.0 degrees Celsius compared to minus 1.1 degree Celsius the previous night.
The high altitude areas of Jammu and Kashmir experienced snowfall for three days from December 21, the day when the `Chillai-Kalan`, considered as the harshest 40-day winter period, started.
Snowfall ranging between one feet to four feet was reported from the high altitude areas including the famous cave shrine of Amarnath over the three days, while the plains received light snowfall and rains.
The MeT Department has said the weather in the Valley would mainly remain dry for the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state