J&K freezes in sub-zero temperatures
Srinagar: The cold tightened its grip on Jammu and Kashmir as the mercury plummeted by eight degrees in Leh in Ladakh region to register the season`s lowest temperature and most parts of the Valley froze in sub-zero temperatures.
Leh recorded a minimum temperature of minus 14.1 degrees Celsius last night, against minus 6.3 degrees Celsius the previous night, an official of the MeT Department here said.
It was the coldest night of the winter so far in the frontier town. No fresh rains or snowfall was reported from any part of the Valley, the official said.
The nearby Kargil town registered a drop of over two notches in the night temperature as the minimum settled at minus 8.9 degrees Celsius, compared to the previous night`s minus 6.8 degrees Celsius, he said.
Srinagar, the summer capital of the state, recorded a low of 1.8 degree Celsius, over a degree up from 0.6 degree Celsius the previous night.
The famous ski-resort of Gulmarg registered a low of minus 7.4 degrees Celsius, compared to minus 9.3 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The mercury in Pahalgam hill resort, which serves as a base camp during the annual Amarnath yatra, settled at a low of minus 2.4 degrees Celsius, a drop of one degree from the previous night`s minus 1.4 degrees Celsius.
Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir Valley, recorded a low of 0.2 degree Celsius, same as the previous night.
Kokernag, in south Kashmir, which recorded a low of minus 3.6 degrees Celsius the previous night, registered a low of minus 0.2 degree Celsius last night.
Kupwara, in north Kashmir, recorded a minimum of minus 3.0 degrees Celsius compared to minus 1.1 degree Celsius the previous night.
The high altitude areas of Jammu and Kashmir experienced snowfall for three days from December 21, the day when the `Chillai-Kalan`, considered as the harshest 40-day winter period, started.
Snowfall ranging between one feet to four feet was reported from the high altitude areas including the famous cave shrine of Amarnath over the three days, while the plains received light snowfall and rains.
The MeT Department has said the weather in the Valley would mainly remain dry for the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH