J&K: Fresh snowfall brings cheer to New Year revelers
Srinagar: Fresh snowfall across Kashmir in the wee hours of Tuedsay brought much needed respite from the cold wave to the Valley residents and cheer for New Year revelers.
The 300-long Srinagar-Jammu National Highway, the only surface link between Kashmir and rest of the country was today shut for vehicular traffic due to snowfall, a spokesman of the traffic police said.
Snowfall began in Srinagar city and other parts of the Valley in the wee hours today, bringing down the mercury by several degrees across Kashmir.
Pahalgam witnessed highest snowfall so far as around 200 millimetres (over 6 inches) of snow had accumulated till 8.30 AM, a MeT office spokesman said.
Nearly two inches of snow had accumulated in Srinagar, Qazigund, Kupwara and Kokernag till 8.30 AM, he added.
Gulmarg also witnessed light snowfall since this morning.
The snowfall brought respite to the people who were reeling under cold conditions as the mercury rose by several degrees. Hundreds of tourists, who have arrived in the Valley to usher in the New Year, rejoiced at the snowfall.
Many tourists were seen capturing the rare moment of snowfall in their cameras and mobile phones as `snow men` sprang up in many parts of the city and in the Valley.
Srinagar city witnessed nearly four degree jump in night temperature as the mercury settled at minus 1.4 degrees Celsius as compared to minus 5.3 degree Celsius last night.
The minimum temperature in Pahalgam settled at minus 6.6 degrees Celsius, up from minus 9.0 degrees Celsius previous night.
The weather in Ladakh region, however, remained dry but the minimum temperature rose by several degrees in Leh town to settle at minus 12.0 degrees Celsius as compared to previous night`s minus 17.7 degrees Celsius.
Meanwhile, the snowfall has thrown normal life out of gear in the Valley.
Massive traffic jams were witnessed in many parts of the city and other major towns of the Valley as the snow clearance grid was caught off guard by the heavy snowfall in the wee hours.
The traffic on vital Srinagar airport road was also moving at snail`s pace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok