J&K: Gang of laptop thieves busted; 2 arrested
Srinagar: With the arrest of two persons,
including a computer engineer, police on Tuesday claimed to have
solved several cases of laptop theft in Nigeen and adjoining
areas of the city.
Raqib Ahmad Dar and Irfan Ahmad Malik were arrested in
connection with a theft inside National Institute of
Information Technology (NIT), police said, adding that
later they confessed their involvement in five other cases, a
senior police officer said today.
"The arrest of the duo led to the solving of five theft
cases involving stealing of laptops, hard drives, pen drives
and cell phones from different outlets in Nigeen and adjoining
areas over the past three years," Senior Superintendent of
Police, Srinagar, Ashiq Hussain Bukhari said.
They were dealing with selective high profile thefts
like stealing of laptops, hard drives, pen drives, cell
phones, he said.
"Police initially recovered one laptop from the
possession of Dar, who was using it after stealing the same
from the premises of NIT Nigeen some time back," he said.
His disclosure led to the arrest of Malik, a computer
engineer, who used to format the stolen laptops, hard drives,
pen drives to sell them.
The recoveries included 10 laptops, one external hard
drive and several other electronic equipments, Bukhari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event
- Al Qaeda chief urges kidnappings of Westerners for prisoner swaps - SITE
- Japan logs first half-year trade surplus since Fukushima
- Attacks on France, Germany their own fault: Donald Trump