J&K: Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrest
Srinagar: Authorities on Monday placed all senior Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest to maintain law and order during the congregational Eid prayers in Srinagar.
"These measures have been taken to ensure that nobody disturbs peace and tranquility in the city on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr," a police official said.
Those placed under house arrest include Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Shabir Shah, Muhammad Yasin Malik and Muhammad Nayeem Khan among others.
Authorities have been preventing the separatists from addressing large public gatherings after the summer unrest of 2010 in which 107 people were killed in clashes between unruly mobs and security forces.
Irate mobs had also indulged in large-scale arson and violence on the day of Eid in 2010.
The central and state governments had blamed the local separatist leaders for inciting people to resort to violence in 2010.
On Eid-ul-Fitr, thousands of locals gather at Eidgahs across the state for thanksgiving at the end of the month of Ramadan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda