J&K: Geelani placed under house arrest
Srinagar: Authorities here have put hard line Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani under house arrest as a preventive measure, officials said Friday.
Geelani was placed under house arrest since yesterday evening as there were apprehensions that he might lead protests after Friday prayers, the officials said.
Some people had indulged in stone-pelting after
Geelani`s address to the gatherings on May 6 at Batamaloo in
Meanwhile, a Hurriyat spokesman condemned the restrictions on the movement of Geelani saying he has not been allowed even to offer prayers.
"Earlier, we had called for rallies to press for release of political prisoners and we thought the house arrest was to foil those rallies. However, Geelani is not even allowed to offer prayers," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post