J&K: Geelani placed under house arrest
Srinagar: Authorities here have put hard line Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani under house arrest as a preventive measure, officials said Friday.
Geelani was placed under house arrest since yesterday evening as there were apprehensions that he might lead protests after Friday prayers, the officials said.
Some people had indulged in stone-pelting after
Geelani`s address to the gatherings on May 6 at Batamaloo in
Meanwhile, a Hurriyat spokesman condemned the restrictions on the movement of Geelani saying he has not been allowed even to offer prayers.
"Earlier, we had called for rallies to press for release of political prisoners and we thought the house arrest was to foil those rallies. However, Geelani is not even allowed to offer prayers," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed