J&K: Geelani placed under house arrest
Srinagar: Authorities here have put hard line Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani under house arrest as a preventive measure, officials said Friday.
Geelani was placed under house arrest since yesterday evening as there were apprehensions that he might lead protests after Friday prayers, the officials said.
Some people had indulged in stone-pelting after
Geelani`s address to the gatherings on May 6 at Batamaloo in
Meanwhile, a Hurriyat spokesman condemned the restrictions on the movement of Geelani saying he has not been allowed even to offer prayers.
"Earlier, we had called for rallies to press for release of political prisoners and we thought the house arrest was to foil those rallies. However, Geelani is not even allowed to offer prayers," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amarnath Yatra: J&K DGP reviews security arrangements
- Eoin Morgan picks Anil Kumble and MS Dhoni in All-time XI, no place for Sachin Tendulkar
- Dominika Cibulkova stuns Agniezka Radwanska, enters Eastbourne final
- Three arrested for forcing Kerala nursing student to drink toilet cleaner
- Copa-Euro showdown: Proposal made for match between Copa America and Euro 2016 winners