J&K: Geelani put under house arrest
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani was Friday put under house arrest,
but police claimed that he chose to stay at home on his own.
A posse of policemen was deployed at the Hyderpora
residence of Geelani and informed him about the restrictions on his movement, a spokesman of the hardline Hurriyat said.
He alleged that the Hurriyat chairman was not allowed
even to offer prayers on Jumat-ul Vida, "which amounts to
interference in religious matters and denial of religious
However, a police spokesman said Geelani was requested to
offer Friday prayers at any place other than Bait-ul-Muqarram
Masjid in Baramulla town of north Kashmir in the wake of
yesterday`s grenade blast there.
"He (Geelani), however, remained adamant to go to Baramulla to offer prayers and preferred not to move out," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls