J&K government to amend Juvenile Justice Act
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government is likely to table an amendment to the Juvenile Justice Act to bring it at par with the Central Act which defines a person under 18 years of age as a minor.
The Revised Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection) Act in consonance with the Central Act is likely to be tabled in the Assembly in the coming session during August-September, State Law Secretary Ghulam Hassan Tantray informed the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR).
The current act in Jammu and Kashmir defines a persons as minor till he reaches the age of 16 years.
The NCPCR team stressed the need to have an effective juvenile law in place along with the rules to Juvenile Justice law that need to be notified at the earliest possible time to take care of entitlements of children in need of care and protection and children in conflict with law.
"The team was also informed that the Bill, relating to the setting up of State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (SCPCR), is also being tabled in the same session as the present government had taken up the issue of protection of child rights as a priority," an official spokesman said.
The NCPCR team today concluded its five-day Kashmir visit during which they assessed the policies and programmes on child rights in the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents