J&K Governor reviews Amarnath yatra preparations
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Governor NN Vohra has visited Chandanwari and Baltal, halting stations enroute to the Amarnath cave, to review preparations for the upcoming pilgrimage commencing on June 25.
The Governor yesterday directed all concerned departments and agencies to ensure the commissioning of required facilities for this year`s yatra by June 10, a spokesman of the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) said.
However, Vohra, who is the chairman of the board, could not undertake aerial reconnaissance of the Pahalgam- Chandanwari-Sheshnag-Mahagunas-Panjtarni axis due to inclement weather.
He was scheduled to assess the updated status of snowmelt along the traditional route, from Pahalgam to the holy cave.
While reviewing the preparations, Vohra was briefed on the arrangements being made for the yatris, among them the construction of an entry gate at Chandanwari.
Vohra visited the take-off point of Chandanwari route, which is still buried under a large glacier, and later directed engineers to "improve" the Chandanwari-Pahalgam road to meet the heavy yatra-related vehicular traffic.
The governor also inspected the Nunwan Base Camp and assessed various ongoing works for the yatris there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...