J&K govt dedicates 2013 to daughters
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government has decided to dedicate the year 2013 to daughters and observe it as `Save the Girl Child` year.
"As part of a campaign against female foeticide and to promote the girl child, the state health department will dedicate 2013 to daughters and observe the year as `save the girl child` year", Minister for Health and Family Welfare Sham Lal Sharma said yesterday.
Seeking society`s support to curb female foeticide, Sharma said only government efforts were not sufficient to deal with the menace, but the entire society has to contribute.
He said the government has already sought help from religious and social organisations to maintain a healthy sex ratio and added that a positive response has been received.
Need of the hour is to step up efforts to achieve the desired results, he added.
Expressing concern over the increase in number of eve-teasing and sexual harassment cases, the minister said that an attitudinal change was must to keep a check on such crimes.
He advocated a change in the educational set up and suggested introduction of moral education as a subject in every school from the primary level.
Sharma went on to say that parents and teachers had a greater role to play in this direction and they must instill morals in the children.
He said in the New Year "we all should take a pledge to save the Girl Child and raise our voice against the crimes against the females and to contribute for a healthy and prosperous society".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Hubby Rohit Roy lashes out at wife Dimpy Ganguly’s haters who trolled her for getting pregnant before marriage
- Bollywood celebrities recall Rahul Dev Burman on his 77th birthday
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet to decide final payout for central government employees on June 29
- Apple cheers 2016 Pride celebration with a special rainbow Apple Watch!
- Heavy rainfall expected in Vidarbha, Telangana, Andhra; Monsoon set to enter Delhi, Punjab, Haryana