J&K govt did not surrender Rs 5,038 cr budgetary savings: CAG
Jammu: Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India has pulled up the Jammu and Kashmir government for failing to surrender savings of Rs 5,038.65 crore in budgetary grants and appropriations in financial year 2011-12, saying it was in violation of the state budget manual.
"At the close of the year 2011-12, there were 18 grants and five appropriations (state budget) in which saving (Of Rs 5,038.65 crore) occurred but no part of which had been surrendered by the concerned government departments", said the CAG report for year ending March 31, 2012.
The saving in these cases was of the order of Rs Rs 5,038.65 crore which includes Rs 5.036.81 crores in 42 cases involving 27 budget grants and three appropriations, the government auditor said.
"The non-surrender of the funds deprived the government of the opportunity to transfer these funds to other needy sectors", the report said.
Against the total saving of Rs 5,03.65 crore, saving of Rs 4,453.96 crore (88 percent) occurred in 18 cases relating to 14 grants, the CAG report said.
CAG report was tabled in the state Legislative Assembly recently.
As per the state budget manual, the spending departments are required to surrender grants, appropriations or saving portion there of to the Finance Department as and when the savings are anticipated, it said.
CAG strongly recommended preparation of realistic budget estimates to avoid large savings and excesses. It also called for surrendering of savings by stipulated date for their effective ultilisation by needy departments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video