`J&K govt handled situation in Valley tactfully`
Jammu: Asserting that there were sentiments attached to Parliament attacker Afzal Guru`s hanging, Congress minister Taj Mohi-udin on Thursday said the state government has handled the situation "tactfully".
"There were sentiments attached to Guru but the state government has handled the situation tactfully," Minister for Medical Education, Sports and Youth Services, Taj Mohi-ud-Din, told reporters here today.
Taj was replying to a volley of questions about the handling of situation by the state government in the backdrop of Guru`s hanging.
"The Chief Minister (Omar Abdullah) is in the Valley, several other ministers are also there. I have my self come to Jammu only yesterday," he said.
The entire Valley was put under curbs on Saturday following hanging of Guru inside Tihar Jail in Delhi. However, curfew was relaxed from few areas of Kashmir today, which passed off peacefully.
Three persons died and over 50 others were injured in clashes between protesters and security forces during protests against Guru`s execution.
Meanwhile, on the increasing threat of H1N1 influenza, the minister said that there was a standard drill in place across the country to tackle Swine Flu and it was also followed in the state.
"There is a standard drill which is followed everywhere in India. Isolated wards, testing equipment, medicines...Every hospital has been instructed to follow the drill," he said.
On the issue of recent theft of an infant from the SMGS Hospital here, Taj assured that no such incident will occur in future.
"It is a security issue. There are CCTV`s in place, hospital and police security was also present. Even then a child is stolen. We have suspended two security guards and have also told police to take action against their man (on duty). The matter is under investigation; such incident can take place anywhere but I assure you that it won`t be repeated in future," he said.
A day-old baby boy was stolen from the labour room of the SMGS Hospital earlier this month making it the second one in last three months.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan
- CINTAA's joint secretary apologises to Rakhi Sawant, Dolly Bindra – Here’s why