J&K Govt invokes ESMA against striking employees
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir government on Monday
invoked the Essential Service Maintenance Act (ESMA) against
its Public Health Engineering department employees who are to
begin a strike from tomorrow demanding higher wages.
"The government declared the strike call given by a
section of Public Health Engineering (PHE) employees from
February 15, 2011 as illegal and repugnant to the public
interest. It has decided to invoke sections of ESMA against
the employees to ensure that people do not suffer on account
of the strike", an official spokesman said here.
A section of PHE employees has decided to go on strike
for 72 hours from February 15 to press for the implementation
of their demands.
The government has already fulfilled most of the
demands put forth by the employees associations like release
of one-day additional salary and payment of wages at the rate
of Rs 110 per day, the spokesman said adding all the Chief
Engineers have been directed to make payments on said
As for release of 2nd instalment of 0.75 day, it has
been agreed in principle by the Chief Minister. The third and
final instalment of 0.75 day shall also be sanctioned/released
in due course of time, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader