J&K Govt invokes ESMA against striking employees
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir government on Monday
invoked the Essential Service Maintenance Act (ESMA) against
its Public Health Engineering department employees who are to
begin a strike from tomorrow demanding higher wages.
"The government declared the strike call given by a
section of Public Health Engineering (PHE) employees from
February 15, 2011 as illegal and repugnant to the public
interest. It has decided to invoke sections of ESMA against
the employees to ensure that people do not suffer on account
of the strike", an official spokesman said here.
A section of PHE employees has decided to go on strike
for 72 hours from February 15 to press for the implementation
of their demands.
The government has already fulfilled most of the
demands put forth by the employees associations like release
of one-day additional salary and payment of wages at the rate
of Rs 110 per day, the spokesman said adding all the Chief
Engineers have been directed to make payments on said
As for release of 2nd instalment of 0.75 day, it has
been agreed in principle by the Chief Minister. The third and
final instalment of 0.75 day shall also be sanctioned/released
in due course of time, he said.
- Justice Rastogi backs CJI Thakur's appeal to increase number of judges
- Delhi-Faizabad Express derails near Hapur; 70 injured, emergency number issued
- VVIP chopper deal probe: CBI to grill former-IAF chief SP Tyagi, his 2 brothers today; major set-back for Sonia Gandhi?
- Colombia deports top Peruvian crime lord
- After a half-century wait, first US cruise ship leaves Miami for Cuba