J&K Govt invokes ESMA against striking employees
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir government on Monday
invoked the Essential Service Maintenance Act (ESMA) against
its Public Health Engineering department employees who are to
begin a strike from tomorrow demanding higher wages.
"The government declared the strike call given by a
section of Public Health Engineering (PHE) employees from
February 15, 2011 as illegal and repugnant to the public
interest. It has decided to invoke sections of ESMA against
the employees to ensure that people do not suffer on account
of the strike", an official spokesman said here.
A section of PHE employees has decided to go on strike
for 72 hours from February 15 to press for the implementation
of their demands.
The government has already fulfilled most of the
demands put forth by the employees associations like release
of one-day additional salary and payment of wages at the rate
of Rs 110 per day, the spokesman said adding all the Chief
Engineers have been directed to make payments on said
As for release of 2nd instalment of 0.75 day, it has
been agreed in principle by the Chief Minister. The third and
final instalment of 0.75 day shall also be sanctioned/released
in due course of time, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September