J&K govt issues over 2 lakh gun licenses since 2009
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir government on Tuesday said that over two lakh gun licenses have been issued by the District Magistrates in the state since 2009.
"Since 2009 till date, 2,07,721 gun licenses have been issued by the District Magistrates in the state," Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said in a written reply to a question of JKNPP member Mohammad Rafiq Shah in the Legislative Council.
As many as 70,187 gun licenses have been issued in Srinagar district, followed by 28,288 in Doda, 18,830 in Rajouri, 15,844 in Ramban, 15,263 in Shopian, 13,396 in Kishtwar, 10,543 in Udhampur, 9,088 in Jammu, 7,223 in Pulwama, 6,830 in Kulgam, 6,606 in Poonch, 1,607 in Kargil, 1,371 in Kupwara, 814 in Samba, 504 in Baramulla, 473 in Kathua, 360 in Anantnag, 151 in Leh, 147 in Ganderbal, 105 in Reasi, 74 in Budgam and 17 in Bandipora, the Chief Minister said.
He said arms licenses are issued to people who fulfil the conditions laid down under Arms Act, 1959 and Arms Rules, 1962 and the guidelines issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, from time to time.
There is no discrimination in the issuance of gun licenses to any community including Paharis and Gujjars, he said adding the arms licenses are being issued to civilians, army and security personnel for self protection as per the provisions of the Arms Act and the Arms rules, Omar said.
In order to curb the proliferation of arms and ammunition in the country, the Union Home Ministry issued instructions and guidelines to be observed by all concerned, he said adding the state government has introduced a web based system for on-line issuance and monitoring of arms licenses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...