‘J&K govt keen on giving more powers to sarpanchs’
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government
will transfer powers to the sarpanchs and panchs in the state
for effective implementation of work at the grassroots level,
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Monday said.
"My government is keen on transferring powers to you and
decentralise the administration so that grass root public
representatives are involved in policy framing and execution
of works in their localities," he said.
The chief minister told the newly elected sarpanchs and
panchs at Aishmuqam in Anantnag district in south Kashmir that
they would be issued photo-identity cards to help them carry
out their work properly.
"I have asked the Rural Development Department to provide
Photo Identity Cards to sarpanchs and panchs so that they can
meet officers without any hassles, and their dignity is also
protected at all levels," he said.
He underlined the importance of public empowerment in
reducing malpractices saying the development process in the
state would witness transformation due to Panchayati Raj for
which all decks have been cleared.
"Panchayat Raj in the state is an important measure to
realise the dream of Naya Kashmir (new Kashmir)," he said,
asking them to shoulder their responsibilities towards the
people on socio-economic fronts.
Omar said a state like Jammu and Kashmir cannot be run
from the secretariat or provincial level.
"We have vast mountainous and far off areas besides
geographical diversity and climatic variation. The situation
like this demands area specific attention," he said,
maintaining that panchayat system is the only way forward to
address such a requirement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report