‘J&K govt keen on giving more powers to sarpanchs’
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government
will transfer powers to the sarpanchs and panchs in the state
for effective implementation of work at the grassroots level,
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Monday said.
"My government is keen on transferring powers to you and
decentralise the administration so that grass root public
representatives are involved in policy framing and execution
of works in their localities," he said.
The chief minister told the newly elected sarpanchs and
panchs at Aishmuqam in Anantnag district in south Kashmir that
they would be issued photo-identity cards to help them carry
out their work properly.
"I have asked the Rural Development Department to provide
Photo Identity Cards to sarpanchs and panchs so that they can
meet officers without any hassles, and their dignity is also
protected at all levels," he said.
He underlined the importance of public empowerment in
reducing malpractices saying the development process in the
state would witness transformation due to Panchayati Raj for
which all decks have been cleared.
"Panchayat Raj in the state is an important measure to
realise the dream of Naya Kashmir (new Kashmir)," he said,
asking them to shoulder their responsibilities towards the
people on socio-economic fronts.
Omar said a state like Jammu and Kashmir cannot be run
from the secretariat or provincial level.
"We have vast mountainous and far off areas besides
geographical diversity and climatic variation. The situation
like this demands area specific attention," he said,
maintaining that panchayat system is the only way forward to
address such a requirement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?