‘J&K govt keen on giving more powers to sarpanchs’
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government
will transfer powers to the sarpanchs and panchs in the state
for effective implementation of work at the grassroots level,
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Monday said.
"My government is keen on transferring powers to you and
decentralise the administration so that grass root public
representatives are involved in policy framing and execution
of works in their localities," he said.
The chief minister told the newly elected sarpanchs and
panchs at Aishmuqam in Anantnag district in south Kashmir that
they would be issued photo-identity cards to help them carry
out their work properly.
"I have asked the Rural Development Department to provide
Photo Identity Cards to sarpanchs and panchs so that they can
meet officers without any hassles, and their dignity is also
protected at all levels," he said.
He underlined the importance of public empowerment in
reducing malpractices saying the development process in the
state would witness transformation due to Panchayati Raj for
which all decks have been cleared.
"Panchayat Raj in the state is an important measure to
realise the dream of Naya Kashmir (new Kashmir)," he said,
asking them to shoulder their responsibilities towards the
people on socio-economic fronts.
Omar said a state like Jammu and Kashmir cannot be run
from the secretariat or provincial level.
"We have vast mountainous and far off areas besides
geographical diversity and climatic variation. The situation
like this demands area specific attention," he said,
maintaining that panchayat system is the only way forward to
address such a requirement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror