J&K govt launches SMS service for farmers
Jammu: On the occasion of Kissan Divas, Jammu and Kashmir government on Monday launched an SMS portal mobile service for farmers which will provide necessary time specific and region specific information.
Minister for Agriculture, Ghulam Hassan Mir, along with Minister of State for Agriculture, Nazir Ahmed Gurezi, today launched the Kissan SMS portal mobile service for farmers of Jammu region, officials said.
The service has been started in three languages of English, Hindi and Urdu, they added.
The SMS Portal created by the Directorate of Agriculture, Jammu will provide necessary time specific and region specific information to the farmers.
Considering availability of large number of mobile connections in the rural areas, Kissan SMS portal is likely to be very useful to farmers and other stakeholders as timely and relevant information will be provided to them, they said.
On the occasion, Mir said that fulfilling the information and technology needs of nearly 12 lakh farming families in the state has always been a challenge to the extension system.
He said extensive use of Information and Communication technology along with judicious mix of physical outreach, learning among farmers, group approach and PPP seems to be the right way of going about it.
Mir said that till now the farmers were being advised through print and electronic media and Kissan melas and awareness camps, adding that now they will also get any kind of information related to the agriculture activities through SMS service.
He hoped that farmers will take maximum benefits of this SMS service.
After launching the SMS Portal, Gurezi appreciated the efforts of agriculture department and advised the officers to ensure that more and more farmers especially from far flung and remote areas are connected with the SMS Portal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read