J&K govt monitoring weather situation: Omar
Srinagar: As most parts of Jammu and Kashmir experienced heavy snowfall, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Wednesday said his government is monitoring the weather situation and has kept teams ready to restore electricity and connectivity.
"People must accept that it is difficult to restore electricity & connectivity while it is still snowing. The situation is being monitored," Omar posted on micro-blogging site Twitter.
He said, "I recognise the disruption that heavy snowfall causes. Teams are on stand by & will swing in to action as soon as the snowfall eases."
Meanwhile, Union Minister and ruling National Conference President Farooq Abdullah urged the state?government to mobilise all its resources to meet the situation in the aftermath of heavy snowfall.?
"The administration need to remain geared up to provide succor to the people affected by heavy snowfall. It?is our moral and basic responsibility to mitigate the?sufferings and the problems of the people," Abdullah said in a statement.
He advised state ministers, legislators and? administration to remain alert to people`s needs by clearing all roads and ensure early restoration of electricity and power supply.
Normal life came to a standstill in many parts of Jammu and Kashmir after the fresh spell of heavy snowfall with many villages cut off from the mainland.
Vehicular traffic from Jammu-Srinagar national highway has been suspended due to slippery road conditions in Jawahar tunnel and Patnitop areas. Flights to and fro Srinagar have been put off for the time being.
Electricity supply across the Valley was also suspended due to the snowfall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes