J&K govt monitoring weather situation: Omar
Srinagar: As most parts of Jammu and Kashmir experienced heavy snowfall, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Wednesday said his government is monitoring the weather situation and has kept teams ready to restore electricity and connectivity.
"People must accept that it is difficult to restore electricity & connectivity while it is still snowing. The situation is being monitored," Omar posted on micro-blogging site Twitter.
He said, "I recognise the disruption that heavy snowfall causes. Teams are on stand by & will swing in to action as soon as the snowfall eases."
Meanwhile, Union Minister and ruling National Conference President Farooq Abdullah urged the state?government to mobilise all its resources to meet the situation in the aftermath of heavy snowfall.?
"The administration need to remain geared up to provide succor to the people affected by heavy snowfall. It?is our moral and basic responsibility to mitigate the?sufferings and the problems of the people," Abdullah said in a statement.
He advised state ministers, legislators and? administration to remain alert to people`s needs by clearing all roads and ensure early restoration of electricity and power supply.
Normal life came to a standstill in many parts of Jammu and Kashmir after the fresh spell of heavy snowfall with many villages cut off from the mainland.
Vehicular traffic from Jammu-Srinagar national highway has been suspended due to slippery road conditions in Jawahar tunnel and Patnitop areas. Flights to and fro Srinagar have been put off for the time being.
Electricity supply across the Valley was also suspended due to the snowfall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!