J&K govt offices open in summer capital Srinagar
Srinagar: Amid a strike called against the spurious drug scam, government offices resumed functioning on Monday as the Jammu and Kashmir Civil Secretariat opened here after shifting from winter capital Jammu.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah was accorded guard of honour by a police band on his arrival at the Civil Secretariat. He was received by senior cabinet colleagues and top police and civil administration officials.
Later, the CM chaired a meeting of administrative secretaries and asked them to work for mitigating the problems of the people and expediting development works in the Valley.
Medical Employees Joint Action Forum (MEJAF) had called a strike against alleged failure of the state government to bring the culprits behind the spurious drug scam to book.
An independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid also tried to lay a siege of the Civil Secretariat against alleged government inaction in the scam, but was detained along with his supporters by police.
Raj Bhavan, Civil Secretariat and other offices were closed in Jammu on April 26 as per the `Darbar Move`, a century-old practice under which government functions six month each in the two capitals.
The offices will function in the summer capital Srinagar till late October before being shifted to Jammu in the first week of November.
In the wake of recent spurt in militant activities, security has been stepped up with additional deployment of security forces in and around the landmark building.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery