J&K govt opposes pvt bill to amend RTI Act
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government
Friday opposed a private member`s bill in the Legislative
Council seeking to amend the RTI Act, saying it will send a
Congress member Naresh Kumar Gupta, who had introduced the
bill, however, withdrew it after Finance Minister Abdul Rahim
Rather said it would not be appropriate to seek any amendment
in the new law.
"This law is in its infancy and hardly has it been
implemented. Only 7,000 people have applied out of a
population of 1.2 crore. To amend the law at this stage is not
appropriate. We should be a bit patient and wait," Rather
Gupta contended that the amendment in the Act was to
prevent "blackmailing" of officials and government
institutions by "unscrupulous activists".
To this, the minister said, "If we get provoked by some
people who misuse the law and amend it, it will send a wrong
signal." On his request, Gupta withdrew the bill.
The Government also opposed the introduction of another
private member`s bill to amend the Panchayati Raj Act to
reserve post of sarpanchs for Schedule Castes, Schedule Tribes
Panchayati Raj Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar said the
Panchayats have just begun to function in the state and it
was premature to judge their effectiveness and amend the Act.
The bill was later withdrawn.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie