J&K govt orders probe into custodial death
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir government has ordered a magisterial probe into the custodial death of a man detained in connection with the mysterious death of his wife in Udhampur district, police said on Tuesday.
Subash Chander allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself in the lockup at a police station in Ramnagar tehsil of Udhampur district yesterday.
Police said Chander tore the silk cloth attached to the side of a blanket, used it as a rope and hanged himself.
The probe has been ordered by the Deputy Commissioner of Udhampur on recommendation of the police, a senior police officer said, adding that it would be conducted by the tehsildar of Ramnagar.
Chander was detained following his wife Sarita`s death after she allegedly consumed poison on July 22.
"Police have registered a case and action will be taken against officers concerned after the probe is completed," the officer said.
Around 400 people gathered in front of Ramnagar police station and blocked roads today demanding an inquiry into Chander`s death and punishment of erring policemen. Protests were also held in Ramnagar town yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days