J&K govt proposes project for Chenab beautification
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir government has conceived a comprehensive proposal for beautification and channelisation of river Chenab to make it the main attraction for tourists and will submit it to Centre for funding.
"That River Chenab is the main pride and attraction of Akhnoor border town (Jammu). Government has conceived a comprehensive proposal for beautification and channelisation of River from Reasi district to Hamirpur Kona in Akhnoor", said Sham Lal Sharma, state minister for PHE Irrigation & Flood Control.
A detailed survey by the experts is underway and shortly the project will be sent to the Centre for funding, Sharma said.
The objective of the project is to attract more and more tourists to this historical place and to check erosion of large chunk of fertile land located along the river Chenab at different villages of Akhnoor tehsil, the Minister said.
Jia Potha--the right bank of river Chenab, has historical significance as first Dogra Ruler of Jammu and Kashmir Maharaja Gulab Singh who was coroneted here.
Approximate 960 Kms river flows through the Jammu region of the state into the plains of the Punjab and it joins by the Jhelum River at Trimmu, and then by the Ravi River.
Listing the measures initiated to promote the rich heritage of the Akhnoor town, the minister said, "Government has brought the Akhnoor town on the tourist map and efforts are being made to connect the town with Katra-Shiv Khori tourist circuit to divert tourists via Akhnoor."
He also said all places of religious as well as historical significance in and around Akhnoor town are being developed to attract the tourists from different parts of the world. Necessary tourist infrastructure will be created for the facilities of tourists at the town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam