`J&K Govt provided various facilities to 1947 PoK refugees`
Jammu: Refugees from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK), who had migrated in 1947, have been provided various facilities, including agricultural land to those in rural areas and plots and quarters to those settled in urban areas, the state Assembly was informed on Monday.
Minister of State for Revenue, Relief and Rehabilitation Aijaz Ahmed Khan said, "As far as PoK refugees of 1947 are concerned they have already been provided various facilities like allotment of land for agricultural purpose who stayed in rural areas, and plots and quarters in favour of those families who settled in urban areas."
He said this in a written reply to the question of Jammu State Morcha (JSM) MLA Ashwani Sharma in the Legislative Assembly today.
The West Pakistani refugees could not be extended such facilities as they were not permanent residents of the state, the minister said.
"Displaced persons and refugees have raised various issues such as one-time settlement, employment package, reservation in professional colleges... The matter is still under consideration of the government," he said.
He said a committee headed by then Financial Commissioner (Revenue) GD Wadhwa was constituted and the recommendation made by the committee has been referred to the Cabinet Sub Committee (CSC) which is headed by the Finance Minister.
Once the CSC submits its recommendations, further actions would be taken and the matter would be placed before the House, the minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video