J&K govt releases separatist leader on parole
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir
government on Wednesday released separatist leader and Mirwaiz (chief
preacher) of South Kashmir Qazi Yasir on parole to attend his
"Have ordered the release of Qazi Yasir on parole to
attend the last rites of his uncle Qazi Amaan in Anantnag on
humanitarian grounds," Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on
social networking site twitter.com.
Qazi Amaan died last night at his Anantnag residence.
Yasir, who is the son of the former Mirwaiz of South
Kashmir, Qazi Nisar, is the president of Ummat-e-Islami. He
was arrested during the protests last year and booked under
the Public Safety Act.
In April this year, the state High Court quashed his
detention under the PSA but he was again booked under the Act
and shifted to Central Jail here.
Meanwhile, South Kashmir`s Anantnag district today
remained shut to commemorate the first death anniversary of
three teenagers who were killed in alleged police firing
during protests last year on this day.
Shujhat-ul-Islam, Imtiyaz Ahmed Ittoo and Ishtiyaq
Ahmed Khanday were shot dead this day last year when police
allegedly barged into a residential complex and fired on them.
"There is a shutdown, shops are closed but situation
is normal. There is no stone pelting," Deputy Inspector
General (DIG) of Police for South Kashmir Shafqat Watali said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi