J&K govt releases separatist leader on parole
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir
government on Wednesday released separatist leader and Mirwaiz (chief
preacher) of South Kashmir Qazi Yasir on parole to attend his
"Have ordered the release of Qazi Yasir on parole to
attend the last rites of his uncle Qazi Amaan in Anantnag on
humanitarian grounds," Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on
social networking site twitter.com.
Qazi Amaan died last night at his Anantnag residence.
Yasir, who is the son of the former Mirwaiz of South
Kashmir, Qazi Nisar, is the president of Ummat-e-Islami. He
was arrested during the protests last year and booked under
the Public Safety Act.
In April this year, the state High Court quashed his
detention under the PSA but he was again booked under the Act
and shifted to Central Jail here.
Meanwhile, South Kashmir`s Anantnag district today
remained shut to commemorate the first death anniversary of
three teenagers who were killed in alleged police firing
during protests last year on this day.
Shujhat-ul-Islam, Imtiyaz Ahmed Ittoo and Ishtiyaq
Ahmed Khanday were shot dead this day last year when police
allegedly barged into a residential complex and fired on them.
"There is a shutdown, shops are closed but situation
is normal. There is no stone pelting," Deputy Inspector
General (DIG) of Police for South Kashmir Shafqat Watali said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister