J&K govt releases separatist leader on parole
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir
government on Wednesday released separatist leader and Mirwaiz (chief
preacher) of South Kashmir Qazi Yasir on parole to attend his
"Have ordered the release of Qazi Yasir on parole to
attend the last rites of his uncle Qazi Amaan in Anantnag on
humanitarian grounds," Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on
social networking site twitter.com.
Qazi Amaan died last night at his Anantnag residence.
Yasir, who is the son of the former Mirwaiz of South
Kashmir, Qazi Nisar, is the president of Ummat-e-Islami. He
was arrested during the protests last year and booked under
the Public Safety Act.
In April this year, the state High Court quashed his
detention under the PSA but he was again booked under the Act
and shifted to Central Jail here.
Meanwhile, South Kashmir`s Anantnag district today
remained shut to commemorate the first death anniversary of
three teenagers who were killed in alleged police firing
during protests last year on this day.
Shujhat-ul-Islam, Imtiyaz Ahmed Ittoo and Ishtiyaq
Ahmed Khanday were shot dead this day last year when police
allegedly barged into a residential complex and fired on them.
"There is a shutdown, shops are closed but situation
is normal. There is no stone pelting," Deputy Inspector
General (DIG) of Police for South Kashmir Shafqat Watali said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas