J&K govt reveals names hundreds of rape victims
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government
on Wednesday made public the names of hundreds of rape victims in the
The list of names and residential details of the victims
were made available by the Home Ministry, headed by Chief
Minister Omar Abdullah, in the Legislative Council.
The details were given in reply to a question by MLC
Subash Chander Gupta.
The MLC had asked for details of the rape cases reported
in the state during the last five years and of the accused.
Advocate General Ishaq Qadri told PTI that the Supreme
Court in its several judgements had ordered that names of rape
victims should not be mentioned.
"This is about the judiciary, I am not sure whether this
applies to the Executive also," the Advocate General said.
The details showed Jammu and Srinagar account for the
highest number of rape cases in the state.
Jammu had registered 150 cases since 2006 and Srinagar
120 during the same period.
A total of 1,326 rapes cases had been registered in the
state since 2006.
However, only one person had been convicted of the crime
so far during the last five years, the government reply said.
Bulk of the rape cases are sub-judice or under
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?