J&K govt reveals names hundreds of rape victims
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government
on Wednesday made public the names of hundreds of rape victims in the
The list of names and residential details of the victims
were made available by the Home Ministry, headed by Chief
Minister Omar Abdullah, in the Legislative Council.
The details were given in reply to a question by MLC
Subash Chander Gupta.
The MLC had asked for details of the rape cases reported
in the state during the last five years and of the accused.
Advocate General Ishaq Qadri told PTI that the Supreme
Court in its several judgements had ordered that names of rape
victims should not be mentioned.
"This is about the judiciary, I am not sure whether this
applies to the Executive also," the Advocate General said.
The details showed Jammu and Srinagar account for the
highest number of rape cases in the state.
Jammu had registered 150 cases since 2006 and Srinagar
120 during the same period.
A total of 1,326 rapes cases had been registered in the
state since 2006.
However, only one person had been convicted of the crime
so far during the last five years, the government reply said.
Bulk of the rape cases are sub-judice or under
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!