J&K govt reveals names hundreds of rape victims
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government
on Wednesday made public the names of hundreds of rape victims in the
The list of names and residential details of the victims
were made available by the Home Ministry, headed by Chief
Minister Omar Abdullah, in the Legislative Council.
The details were given in reply to a question by MLC
Subash Chander Gupta.
The MLC had asked for details of the rape cases reported
in the state during the last five years and of the accused.
Advocate General Ishaq Qadri told PTI that the Supreme
Court in its several judgements had ordered that names of rape
victims should not be mentioned.
"This is about the judiciary, I am not sure whether this
applies to the Executive also," the Advocate General said.
The details showed Jammu and Srinagar account for the
highest number of rape cases in the state.
Jammu had registered 150 cases since 2006 and Srinagar
120 during the same period.
A total of 1,326 rapes cases had been registered in the
state since 2006.
However, only one person had been convicted of the crime
so far during the last five years, the government reply said.
Bulk of the rape cases are sub-judice or under
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report