J&K govt reveals names hundreds of rape victims
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government
on Wednesday made public the names of hundreds of rape victims in the
The list of names and residential details of the victims
were made available by the Home Ministry, headed by Chief
Minister Omar Abdullah, in the Legislative Council.
The details were given in reply to a question by MLC
Subash Chander Gupta.
The MLC had asked for details of the rape cases reported
in the state during the last five years and of the accused.
Advocate General Ishaq Qadri told PTI that the Supreme
Court in its several judgements had ordered that names of rape
victims should not be mentioned.
"This is about the judiciary, I am not sure whether this
applies to the Executive also," the Advocate General said.
The details showed Jammu and Srinagar account for the
highest number of rape cases in the state.
Jammu had registered 150 cases since 2006 and Srinagar
120 during the same period.
A total of 1,326 rapes cases had been registered in the
state since 2006.
However, only one person had been convicted of the crime
so far during the last five years, the government reply said.
Bulk of the rape cases are sub-judice or under
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Flat belly diet: Include these 3 foods to burn fat fast!
- Read: Why Virat Kohli, David Warner exchanged text messages regarding Orange Cap in IPL 9?
- Shocking! 7th Pay Commission recommends abolition of overtime for government employees
- VVIP chopper deal: BJP most welcome to make revelations, says Sonia Gandhi
- Ravana, the demon king is worshipped in these Indian temples