‘J&K govt should stop plan of dividing Kashmiris’
Srinagar: Moderate Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq on Friday asked Jammu and Kashmir government to come clear on the issue of what he alleged was a policy to "fragment" Kashmir`s society on sectarian lines.
"We are worried that, under a conspiracy, a divide is being created and it has the institutional support of the government. Resources and money are being spent on creating a divide in the name of Barelvis, Deobandis and Wahabis," Mirwaiz said while addressing a Friday congregation here.
Mirwaiz asked government to explain its position on the alleged attempts to "fragment" the society on sectarian lines.
"It seems there is an attempt to change the mindset of the youth...So I warn the government to stop this process," he said.
He said the government institutions and army are not supposed to build mosques and shrines here.
"There job is to provide water and electricity, and they should stick to it," he said.
Mirwaiz said they will fight all the attempts to divide the people of the state and will oppose the "divide and rule policy".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!