J&K govt to cancel non-state subject voters, PDP MLC walks out
Jammu: Blaming Jammu and Kashmir government for its attempt to shield the entry of non-state residents in the electoral rolls of the state, PDP legislator on Monday staged walkout from Legislative Council in protest.
Jammu and Kashmir government said that the State Subject Commission (SSC) had recently submitted a report regarding the issue and the names of all non-state residents would be cancelled from the electoral roll.
"Don`t try to cover up on this issue," Khan told the government after he was dissatisfied with the answer to his question from Minister of State for Finance Manohar Lal Sharma and Minister of State for Revenue Ajaz Ahmad Khan in the Council today.
Murtaza in his question had asked the government whether it has the information regarding non-state subjects figuring in the electoral rolls of the state.
Sharma in his reply said that one such complaint was received from district Jammu and that they had deleted the names of five persons in this regard from Gandhinagar Assembly Constituency.
He also said that other related names were being probed and as soon as it is traced, necessary action will be taken.
"If the complaints are not made, won`t you delete the names of the non-state subjects from the electoral rolls? Did you take any suo motu action? Is there any system in place to check such things?" the PDP MLC asked.
Murtaza alleged that on numerous occasions the government was asked to make the state subject document a foolproof one, but it opposed any amendments.
Meanwhile, Ajaz Khan informed that SSC had recently submitted a report regarding the issue and the names of all non-state residents would be cancelled from the electoral rolls.
Khan said that recommendations had been called from various agencies to know whether there was need for any amendments.
Earlier, Sharma had also said that 12 non-state subjects figured in the electoral rolls of district Leh and their names have been deleted from the list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'