J&K govt to constitute Walnut Development Board
Srinagar: In an effort to boost the production of walnut in the state, the Jammu and Kashmir government plans to constitute a Walnut Development Board, state Horticulture Minister Raman Bhalla said.
"Government is working on a proposal to constitute Walnut Development Board to boost the production of the dry fruit which has huge potential in national and international market," Bhalla said addressing fruit growers after inspecting the fruit `mandi` (market) at Pachhar in southern Pulwama district yesterday.
The minister said the Board with horticulture experts would work for the promotion of walnut production in potential areas, its processing and exploring the market within the country and abroad.
"The proposed move is part of various initiatives being taken by the government to promote lucrative horticulture industry in the state," he said.
Bhalla said horticulture has been flagged as a priority sector by the government and several schemes have been launched to promote fruit growing in the state.
"The opening of fruit `mandies` across the state has proved highly beneficial for the fruit growers as it has helped to remove the middleman from the scene who use to take away the maximum benefit," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?