J&K govt to provide 8,000 carpet looms to weavers
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government would provide 8,000 modern carpet looms to carpet weavers under mega-carpet clusters scheme, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Monday said.
"As many as 8000 modern carpet looms are being provided to carpet weavers under mega-carpet clusters scheme. Of these, 2,000 looms are being provided this year," Omar said while interacting with a deputation of artisans at `Awami Mulaqat` here.
He said government is working on a Rs 24-crore heritage and cluster development project under which 10 major localities of `Sheher-i-Khas` (Old Srinagar City) are being developed for comprehensive cluster development of different artisans associated with different handicrafts.
This project also involves construction of a new Heritage Craft Tourist Trail from Nawakadal to Chattabal, construction of River Front Craft Plaza on the concept existing in Muscat (Oman), New York, China (Changdu) and Sabarmati (India).
Other works in the project include upgradation of street pavements, covering of drains, laying of sewers, underground electric cabling, erection of litter bins at every two hundred metres, installation of solar lights at every two hundred metres, street furniture and signals, refreshment kiosks, public convenience, diagnostic clinics and ghats (access points) to River Jehlum.
Under the project, development of craft clusters in Jamia Masjid, Safakadal, Qamarwari, Idgah, Noorbagh, Chattabal, Soura, Zadibal, Botapora, Shuhama and Kanchan-Peerpora is being also carried on to uplift artisans and provide direct liaison between the tourists and manufacturers, he said.
The Chief Minister said areas of Habbakadal, Chinkral Mohalla, Fatehkadal, Khan-Kah-i-Moulla, Bhorikadal, Zainakadal, Maharaj Gunj, Zadibal and other core areas of old city are also proposed to be covered under this programme.
A comprehensive artisan development programme has also been started in the State where under artisans have been registered to provide various facilities including easy loans from the Jammu and Kashmir Bank, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened