J&K govt to provide modern storage facilities for farmers
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government will provide modern storage facilities for farmers at the village level for round the year market linkages to strengthen farm economy and motivate the young to join the agri-sector.
Minister for Agriculture Ghulam Hassan Mir made the announcement while inaugurating a day long Kissan Mela cum Exhibition in Budgam district Thursday.
Mir said such storage facilities would help farmers strengthen their economic conditions and motivate the youth to opt for agriculture as a profit-making activity.
"Providing market opportunities to farmers would help them to strengthen their economy and also motivate the youth to opt for agriculture as profiting activity," he said.
"The youth are coming forward to adopt the agriculture as profiting activity and I assure that the agriculture department shall provide every assistance to them for their encouragement," he added.
Mir asked the farmers to use latest techniques to enhance the quality of produce so as to meet national and global standards.
"If the farmers of J&K want to compete at national level, they have to introduce mechanisation and latest agri- techniques besides using latest agriculture inputs so as to enhance the quality production of national and global standard," Mir said.
The minister said the thrust area is to introduce mechanisation in agriculture and horticulture across the state and various schemes have been launched by the department to provide 25-50 per cent subsidy to farmers for purchasing agriculture machinery items from registered companies.
He said that during the current year, the department has a target to provide 77 Power tillers, 40 tractors, 142 Vermi compost units, 4 bore wells, 2 number of water Harvesting system, 159 poly green houses and other inputs to the farmers of Budgam district.
Minister for Animal and Sheep Husbandry, Syed Rohulla Mehdi, Vice Chairman, Kissan Welfare Board, Rachpal Singh and Director Agriculture Kashmir, Farooq Ahmad Loan also spoke on the occasion.
Rohulla said the Government has launched 6-7 schemes for establishment of sheep, poultry and dairy units on which subsidy is being provided to entrepreneurs to start self employment units.
The department is trying hard to motivate more and more young people to establish their units as this sector has huge scope in providing job opportunities, Rohulla said
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees