J&K govt to provide modern storage facilities for farmers
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government will provide modern storage facilities for farmers at the village level for round the year market linkages to strengthen farm economy and motivate the young to join the agri-sector.
Minister for Agriculture Ghulam Hassan Mir made the announcement while inaugurating a day long Kissan Mela cum Exhibition in Budgam district Thursday.
Mir said such storage facilities would help farmers strengthen their economic conditions and motivate the youth to opt for agriculture as a profit-making activity.
"Providing market opportunities to farmers would help them to strengthen their economy and also motivate the youth to opt for agriculture as profiting activity," he said.
"The youth are coming forward to adopt the agriculture as profiting activity and I assure that the agriculture department shall provide every assistance to them for their encouragement," he added.
Mir asked the farmers to use latest techniques to enhance the quality of produce so as to meet national and global standards.
"If the farmers of J&K want to compete at national level, they have to introduce mechanisation and latest agri- techniques besides using latest agriculture inputs so as to enhance the quality production of national and global standard," Mir said.
The minister said the thrust area is to introduce mechanisation in agriculture and horticulture across the state and various schemes have been launched by the department to provide 25-50 per cent subsidy to farmers for purchasing agriculture machinery items from registered companies.
He said that during the current year, the department has a target to provide 77 Power tillers, 40 tractors, 142 Vermi compost units, 4 bore wells, 2 number of water Harvesting system, 159 poly green houses and other inputs to the farmers of Budgam district.
Minister for Animal and Sheep Husbandry, Syed Rohulla Mehdi, Vice Chairman, Kissan Welfare Board, Rachpal Singh and Director Agriculture Kashmir, Farooq Ahmad Loan also spoke on the occasion.
Rohulla said the Government has launched 6-7 schemes for establishment of sheep, poultry and dairy units on which subsidy is being provided to entrepreneurs to start self employment units.
The department is trying hard to motivate more and more young people to establish their units as this sector has huge scope in providing job opportunities, Rohulla said
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Four hospitals hit by air raids in Syria's Aleppo: Doctors
- China unveils world's largest amphibious aircraft
- WATCH: SPINE-CHILLING! Goldberg makes WWE debut, spears The Rock!
- Sharad Pawar's MCA accepts SC verdict in toto, to rewrite constitution
- Ayushmann Khurrana rocks Seattle with his moonwalk, singing! Watch video