J&K govt warns stricter action, employees` strike enters 8th day
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government on Saturday warned that strict action under ESMA will be taken against its striking employees forcing others not to work even as their strike entered the eighth day.
Divisional Commissioner, Jammu, Pawan Kotwal said that Head of Departments have been instructed to keep a watch on
the working of employees and report regularly about those
He said their salary will be deducted and strict
action under Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA) will be
taken against those employees who force others not to work.
About 4.5 lakh state government and PSU employees are
on strike from April 3 and have extended their stir till April
13 demanding arrears of their revised salaries and raising of
retirement age from 58 years to 60 years.
Kotwal said 37 employees and their leaders have so far
been arrested in Jammu region.
However, work has resumed in Out Patient Doors (OPDs),
laboratories and operation theatres of Government Medical
College (GMC) Jammu, its associated hospitals and other
district hospitals in the region, he said.
Reports from Kashmir Valley and Ladakh region said
work in government offices and PSUs also continued to suffer
due to the strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!