J&K grenade attack: Hizbul militant killed, 4 cops injured
Srinagar: A Hizbul Mujahideen militant was killed and four policemen escorting him to Baramulla district jail were injured in a grenade attack by ultras here on Wednesday.
A civilian pedestrian was also injured in the attack on the vehicle carrying the militant, Shakeel Ahmad Kasana, who was an undertrial, in the crowded Batamaloo bus stand in central Srinagar around noon, a police spokesman said.
Kasana, a resident of Akhal village of Kangan in Ganderbal district, was a Hizbul Mujahideen militant who was arrested last year under Section 7/25 of the Arms Act and slapped with the Public Safety Act, the spokesman said.
The grenade was lobbed by unidentified militants on a police vehicle carrying Kasana to Baramulla district jail from Panthachowk police station, he said.
The grenade landed and exploded inside the vehicle, injuring four policemen and Kasana, who later succumbed at a hospital, he said.
This is the first militant strike in Srinagar since the Muslim fasting month of Ramzan began last week.
Police assisted by security forces cordoned off the area immediately after the grenade attack but no one was arrested in the subsequent search operation, the spokesman said.
The attack comes barely four days after suspected militants brutally killed a policeman by slitting open his throat in Vilgam village of Kupwara district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing