J&K: Gujjar body demands reservation in Panchayats
Jammu: Akhil Bhartiya Gujjar Mahasabha today demanded reservation in Panchayati Raj institutions in Jammu and Kashmir.
"We demand political reservation in Panchayati Raj system in Jammu and Kashmir which is the basic and primary institution of administrative set up," ABGM chief Eshfaq-ur- Rehman Poswal told reporters here.
"Besides this, we also demand implementation of 73rd amendment in J&K for empowering Panches and Sarpanches at grassroot level," he said.
Poswal said the state government had not taken any steps to empower the community, and had not extended 73rd amendment to the Constitution in the state.
The 73rd amendment to the Constitution grants constitutional status to elected rural local bodies.
He said ABGMS would support those MLC candidates in the forthcoming elections who will support reservation for the community in Panchayats, and assure to extend 73rd Amendment to the Constitution to the state to empower Panchayats.
Elections to fill up two vacancies in the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Council from the Panchayat quota will be held on December 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Jasprit Bumrah jumps to career best No. 2 spot in ICC T20I Rankings
- Water tanker scam: ACB summons Delhi Water Minister Kapil Mishra for questioning
- Now recharge your body and phone with KFC's 'Watt a Box' meal!- Watch
- Volkswagen to pay $10 billion in US over emissions scandal: Source
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid