J&K Guv calls for more efforts to promote tourism
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Governor NN Vohra on Saturday called for greater synergy among all stakeholders in the tourism industry in the state to make it the favourite destination of the holiday makers.
"There is a need for greater synergy among all the stakeholders to promote Jammu and Kashmir, which is bestowed with enchanting natural beauty, to emerge as number one tourist destination in the country," Vohra said.
It would be extremely beneficial if the state tourism department, travel trade and all other stakeholders work closely together to develop the required tourist facilities, he said while addressing the Valedictory Session of the two-day 6th Annual General Convention of the Association of Domestic Tour Operators of India at SKICC.
"Before 1990, Kashmir was the choicest destination on the tourist horizon but the unfortunate phase that followed thereafter caused a serious setback to this most important sector of economy which virtually supports half the population of the state," he said.
The Governor, however, expressed satisfaction that things are moving back on track and "we are again witnessing a surge in the tourism sector.
"The total of the tourist and pilgrim arrivals in the three regions of the state - Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh - during this year is likely to be well above the population of Jammu and Kashmir and this calls for timely putting in place all the required logistical arrangements," he said.
Vohra said this would give a crucial boost to employment and economic development of the state.
The Governor complimented President, ADTOI, Subhash Verma and his colleagues, for organising their Annual Convention at Srinagar and hoped that this would give a further fillip to tourism in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’