J&K Guv calls for more efforts to promote tourism
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Governor NN Vohra on Saturday called for greater synergy among all stakeholders in the tourism industry in the state to make it the favourite destination of the holiday makers.
"There is a need for greater synergy among all the stakeholders to promote Jammu and Kashmir, which is bestowed with enchanting natural beauty, to emerge as number one tourist destination in the country," Vohra said.
It would be extremely beneficial if the state tourism department, travel trade and all other stakeholders work closely together to develop the required tourist facilities, he said while addressing the Valedictory Session of the two-day 6th Annual General Convention of the Association of Domestic Tour Operators of India at SKICC.
"Before 1990, Kashmir was the choicest destination on the tourist horizon but the unfortunate phase that followed thereafter caused a serious setback to this most important sector of economy which virtually supports half the population of the state," he said.
The Governor, however, expressed satisfaction that things are moving back on track and "we are again witnessing a surge in the tourism sector.
"The total of the tourist and pilgrim arrivals in the three regions of the state - Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh - during this year is likely to be well above the population of Jammu and Kashmir and this calls for timely putting in place all the required logistical arrangements," he said.
Vohra said this would give a crucial boost to employment and economic development of the state.
The Governor complimented President, ADTOI, Subhash Verma and his colleagues, for organising their Annual Convention at Srinagar and hoped that this would give a further fillip to tourism in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?