J&K Guv seeks support of NCW for development of women
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra has sought support and advice of National Commission for Women (NCW) for the development of women in the state, an official spokesman said on Friday.
Vohra made the request to Chairperson of NCW, Mamta Sharma when she called on him at Raj Bhavan last evening, the spokesman said here.
The governor asked Sharma to pay regular visits to the state to support and advise the departments and agencies, which are engaged in promoting issues relating to women development in the state.
During their meeting, Sharma briefed the Governor about the various initiatives being taken by the Commission to spread awareness among women about their rights and the programmes and policies of the government aimed at securing their socio-economic empowerment.
She said that focus has also been devoted on issues relating to domestic violence against women, female foeticide and, besides, on promoting women education.
"For maximising benefits of the initiatives taken by the Commission, for creating awareness among women about their socio-economic empowerment, sustained campaigns would need to be organised, with particular focus on women belonging to the less-privileged sections of society and those living in the remote and far-flung areas," Vohra observed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31