‘J&K has 133 sq kms of forests land under encroachment’
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir has 133 square kilometres of forests land under encroachment, a state minister said here on Friday.
"The total area of the forests land is to the extent of 20,230 square kilometres in Jammu and Kashmir. Out of this 133.60 square kilometres is under encroachment in the state", Minister for forests Mian Altaf Ahmed said in a written reply to the question of Congress member Mohammad Sharief Niaz in the Assembly.
He further said that department has taken several measures to retrieve old encroached land.
"An area of 127.10 hectares of forests land has been retrieved from 2005 onwards in Jammu region and 987.01 hectares in Kashmir region had been evicted from encroachers from 2007 onwards", he said.
Besides, 13 attempts of fresh encroachments have been foiled and an area of 309 acres of forests land have been saved from clutches of land mafia in Jammu area, he said.
FIRs have been lodged against the culprits and forests land record is being updated and for this, the help of the revenue officials are also being obtained wherever necessary.
Awareness among the people is being created with the help of Village Forest Committees (VFCs) against the menace of encroachments, he said adding retrieved areas are taken up for the plantation after fencing on priority.
Jammu and Kashmir is the first state in the country to create forest protection force which is helping in protection of forests from all sorts of damages, including encroachments, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail