‘J&K has 133 sq kms of forests land under encroachment’
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir has 133 square kilometres of forests land under encroachment, a state minister said here on Friday.
"The total area of the forests land is to the extent of 20,230 square kilometres in Jammu and Kashmir. Out of this 133.60 square kilometres is under encroachment in the state", Minister for forests Mian Altaf Ahmed said in a written reply to the question of Congress member Mohammad Sharief Niaz in the Assembly.
He further said that department has taken several measures to retrieve old encroached land.
"An area of 127.10 hectares of forests land has been retrieved from 2005 onwards in Jammu region and 987.01 hectares in Kashmir region had been evicted from encroachers from 2007 onwards", he said.
Besides, 13 attempts of fresh encroachments have been foiled and an area of 309 acres of forests land have been saved from clutches of land mafia in Jammu area, he said.
FIRs have been lodged against the culprits and forests land record is being updated and for this, the help of the revenue officials are also being obtained wherever necessary.
Awareness among the people is being created with the help of Village Forest Committees (VFCs) against the menace of encroachments, he said adding retrieved areas are taken up for the plantation after fencing on priority.
Jammu and Kashmir is the first state in the country to create forest protection force which is helping in protection of forests from all sorts of damages, including encroachments, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP