J&K highway closed due to snowfall
Jammu: Heavy snowfall and landslides brought
vehicular traffic along the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway to a halt for the second consecutive day Friday cutting off the
Kashmir Valley from the rest of the country.
"The highway has been closed for vehicular traffic for
the second consecutive day today due to heavy snowfall in
Banihal-Patnitop stretch and incidents of landslide," police
As snowfall abated in some parts of the state today,
officials scrambled to clear the 300-km-long highway of snow
and debris. It, however, remained close for traffic.
The closure left over 3,100 vehicles stranded at various points on the highway, especially in Ramban, Udhampur and Nagrota areas of Jammu district, officials said.
The highway was closed first on January 13 due to landslides and was opened for one way-traffic on January 14
for a brief period, before heavy snowfall and avalanches
brought traffic to a halt.
In January alone, the highway has remained close for
almost 11 days.
Traffic was also suspended on the inter-state Bhaderwah-Chamba (Himachal Pradesh) road following heavy
snowfall at Sartangal Pass.
Meanwhile, traffic was restored along the Jammu-Rajouri-Poonch highway, while the road connecting Doda
with Kishtwar remained closed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow