J&K highway closed due to snowfall
Jammu: Heavy snowfall and landslides brought
vehicular traffic along the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway to a halt for the second consecutive day Friday cutting off the
Kashmir Valley from the rest of the country.
"The highway has been closed for vehicular traffic for
the second consecutive day today due to heavy snowfall in
Banihal-Patnitop stretch and incidents of landslide," police
As snowfall abated in some parts of the state today,
officials scrambled to clear the 300-km-long highway of snow
and debris. It, however, remained close for traffic.
The closure left over 3,100 vehicles stranded at various points on the highway, especially in Ramban, Udhampur and Nagrota areas of Jammu district, officials said.
The highway was closed first on January 13 due to landslides and was opened for one way-traffic on January 14
for a brief period, before heavy snowfall and avalanches
brought traffic to a halt.
In January alone, the highway has remained close for
almost 11 days.
Traffic was also suspended on the inter-state Bhaderwah-Chamba (Himachal Pradesh) road following heavy
snowfall at Sartangal Pass.
Meanwhile, traffic was restored along the Jammu-Rajouri-Poonch highway, while the road connecting Doda
with Kishtwar remained closed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened