J&K Highway closed for traffic for second day
Jammu: The Jammu-Srinagar National Highway continued to remain closed for traffic for the second consecutive day today due to snowfall and slippery conditions at some stretches along the highway.
The traffic on the highway, the only surface link connecting Kashmir valley with the rest of the country, was suspended yesterday as a precautionary measure due to heavy snowfall between Qazigund and Banihal towns creating slippery conditions on both sides of the Jawahar Tunnel, about 220-kms from here, traffic officials said.
Snow had accumulated on both sides of the Jawahar
About 500 vehicles are stranded at different points on
the highway and authorities have made arrangements to provide
food and shelter for nearly 1500 people who were travelling in
the vehicles, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16