J&K Highway closed for traffic for second day
Jammu: The Jammu-Srinagar National Highway continued to remain closed for traffic for the second consecutive day today due to snowfall and slippery conditions at some stretches along the highway.
The traffic on the highway, the only surface link connecting Kashmir valley with the rest of the country, was suspended yesterday as a precautionary measure due to heavy snowfall between Qazigund and Banihal towns creating slippery conditions on both sides of the Jawahar Tunnel, about 220-kms from here, traffic officials said.
Snow had accumulated on both sides of the Jawahar
About 500 vehicles are stranded at different points on
the highway and authorities have made arrangements to provide
food and shelter for nearly 1500 people who were travelling in
the vehicles, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH