J&K highway reopens for one-way traffic
Jammu: The 300-km-long Jammu-Srinagar national highway, the only surface link between Kashmir and the rest of India on Sunday reopened for one-way vehicular traffic from Jammu to Srinagar.
"The highway has been reopened for vehicular traffic. One way traffic from Jammu to Kashmir has been allowed today," police said.
First, all vehicles stranded at various places on the highway were cleared, they said.
Later, movement of vehicles, including those carrying passengers and essentials, was allowed from Jammu to Kashmir.
However, no vehicle was allowed from Srinagar to Jammu, police said.
Heavy snowfall yesterday had cut off Kashmir Valley from rest of the country.
Accumulation of snow on either side of the Jawahar Tunnel had led to closure of the Jammu-Srinagar national highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj