J&K highway reopens for one-way traffic
Jammu: The 300-km-long Jammu-Srinagar national highway, the only surface link between Kashmir and the rest of India on Sunday reopened for one-way vehicular traffic from Jammu to Srinagar.
"The highway has been reopened for vehicular traffic. One way traffic from Jammu to Kashmir has been allowed today," police said.
First, all vehicles stranded at various places on the highway were cleared, they said.
Later, movement of vehicles, including those carrying passengers and essentials, was allowed from Jammu to Kashmir.
However, no vehicle was allowed from Srinagar to Jammu, police said.
Heavy snowfall yesterday had cut off Kashmir Valley from rest of the country.
Accumulation of snow on either side of the Jawahar Tunnel had led to closure of the Jammu-Srinagar national highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?