J&K highway reopens for one-way traffic
Jammu: The 300-km-long Jammu-Srinagar national highway, the only surface link between Kashmir and the rest of India on Sunday reopened for one-way vehicular traffic from Jammu to Srinagar.
"The highway has been reopened for vehicular traffic. One way traffic from Jammu to Kashmir has been allowed today," police said.
First, all vehicles stranded at various places on the highway were cleared, they said.
Later, movement of vehicles, including those carrying passengers and essentials, was allowed from Jammu to Kashmir.
However, no vehicle was allowed from Srinagar to Jammu, police said.
Heavy snowfall yesterday had cut off Kashmir Valley from rest of the country.
Accumulation of snow on either side of the Jawahar Tunnel had led to closure of the Jammu-Srinagar national highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clinton attacks Trump's outreach to black voters in new ad
- Colombia ceasefire will not stop government fighting crime: Official
- Amazon dabbling with 30-hour work weeks: Report
- Enrique's fan hid in dressing room for 12 hours
- Scorpene submarine data leak: 'Whistleblower' to hand over disk to 'government'