J&K: Hizb `district commander` killed in encounter
Jammu: A self-styled district commander of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen (HM) was Tuesday shot dead in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir.
Acting on specific information about the presence of the top commander in Thachna-Gokund forests in Nawapachi belt in the district, troops of 11 Rastriya Rifles and Police cordoned the area and launched a search operation, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Kishtwar Bhim Sen Toti said.
As the troops closed in around the forest hideout, militants fired on them resulting in a fierce gun battle as troops fired back early this morning, he said.
In the gun battle, `district commander` of HM, Sajjad Ahmed Mir alias Rizwan was killed, he said.
Troops also recovered one AK-47 rifle, two magazines, 37 ammunition rounds and one radio set from the encounter spot.
He was active in South of Pir Panchal ranges in Doda-Kishtwar belt for the past 11 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions