J&K: Hizb `district commander` killed in encounter
Jammu: A self-styled district commander of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen (HM) was Tuesday shot dead in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir.
Acting on specific information about the presence of the top commander in Thachna-Gokund forests in Nawapachi belt in the district, troops of 11 Rastriya Rifles and Police cordoned the area and launched a search operation, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Kishtwar Bhim Sen Toti said.
As the troops closed in around the forest hideout, militants fired on them resulting in a fierce gun battle as troops fired back early this morning, he said.
In the gun battle, `district commander` of HM, Sajjad Ahmed Mir alias Rizwan was killed, he said.
Troops also recovered one AK-47 rifle, two magazines, 37 ammunition rounds and one radio set from the encounter spot.
He was active in South of Pir Panchal ranges in Doda-Kishtwar belt for the past 11 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Benefits of face scrubs for men
- In awe of the Master! WATCH how Sakshi Malik requested Sachin Tendulkar to take a selfie with her brother
- Coal imports in July dip 11% to 18 MT
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside