J&K: Hizb `district commander` killed in encounter
Jammu: A self-styled district commander of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen (HM) was Tuesday shot dead in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir.
Acting on specific information about the presence of the top commander in Thachna-Gokund forests in Nawapachi belt in the district, troops of 11 Rastriya Rifles and Police cordoned the area and launched a search operation, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Kishtwar Bhim Sen Toti said.
As the troops closed in around the forest hideout, militants fired on them resulting in a fierce gun battle as troops fired back early this morning, he said.
In the gun battle, `district commander` of HM, Sajjad Ahmed Mir alias Rizwan was killed, he said.
Troops also recovered one AK-47 rifle, two magazines, 37 ammunition rounds and one radio set from the encounter spot.
He was active in South of Pir Panchal ranges in Doda-Kishtwar belt for the past 11 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!