J&K: Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz condemns restrictions
Srinagar: Condemning the restrictions
imposed by Jammu and Kashmir government in old city, moderate
Hurriyat Conference Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq on Saturday said
force and repression were the only standard response of the
administration to people`s aspirations.
"It is regrettable that the only standard response that
the Government has to people`s aspirations and sentiments is
repression, force and curbs. Time and again, through the
exhibition of power, the government betrays the fundamental
principles of democracy, which it claims to represent and
uphold," Mirwaiz said in a statement.
He said the decision to prevent people from offering
fateh and paying tribute to their beloved leader and other
martyrs at Eidgah is "unfortunate and condemnable".
"It is the right of every nation to honour and remember
those who have sacrificed their lives for it. To build a
memorial is the least we can do, in terms of paying a tribute
In India itself memorials of resistance against the
British Raj exist throughout, be it at Jallianwala Bagh or
Rajghat," he said.
Mirwaiz said the key to lasting peace and development in
the region was a just and permanent resolution of the Kashmir
"The sooner it was understood by all the better it is,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- WATCH: On this day in 1983, Kapil Dev's India were crowned world champion
- `Narasimha Rao used IB to keep an eye on Sonia Gandhi after Babri Masjid demolition`
- Iceland elects new president in vote eclipsed by Euros, Brexit
- We don't need people like Mukhtar Ansari in party: Akhilesh Yadav
- Talent is unstoppable! Alia Bhatt aspires for Hollywood