J&K: Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz condemns restrictions
Srinagar: Condemning the restrictions
imposed by Jammu and Kashmir government in old city, moderate
Hurriyat Conference Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq on Saturday said
force and repression were the only standard response of the
administration to people`s aspirations.
"It is regrettable that the only standard response that
the Government has to people`s aspirations and sentiments is
repression, force and curbs. Time and again, through the
exhibition of power, the government betrays the fundamental
principles of democracy, which it claims to represent and
uphold," Mirwaiz said in a statement.
He said the decision to prevent people from offering
fateh and paying tribute to their beloved leader and other
martyrs at Eidgah is "unfortunate and condemnable".
"It is the right of every nation to honour and remember
those who have sacrificed their lives for it. To build a
memorial is the least we can do, in terms of paying a tribute
In India itself memorials of resistance against the
British Raj exist throughout, be it at Jallianwala Bagh or
Rajghat," he said.
Mirwaiz said the key to lasting peace and development in
the region was a just and permanent resolution of the Kashmir
"The sooner it was understood by all the better it is,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere