J&K interlocutor for political prisoners’ release
Srinagar: Confidence building measures like releasing political prisoners in Jammu and Kashmir could help in improving the ground situation there, Centre`s interlocutor for the state Radha Kumar said on Saturday, noting that Pakistan should be involved in resolving the Kashmir issue.
Kumar, one of the three interlocutors, said there was a "universal" agreement in the state on finding a comprehensive and lasting solution to the problem.
"The focus of our interactions has been the political solution and to find a roadmap to achieve it but there is a
universal agreement on finding a comprehensive and lasting solution to the problem, sooner than later," she told
reporters here, wrapping up the team`s second visit to the state.
Asked if the interlocutors still believed that Kashmir was a dispute, she said, "We stand by whatever we have said earlier".
Kumar said there was also a realisation among the people that the long duration of the conflict and the division of the state in 1947 had added complexities and new factors to the issue.
"The people are of the view that a comprehensive solution cannot be achieved without changes on the ground and the solution has to be with dignity and honour," she said.
Kumar, who was accompanied by another member and Information Commissioner MM Ansari, said there was a need to "involve Pakistan for finding a durable solution to the Kashmir problem."
"Confidence building measures are essential part towards creating an atmosphere for sustained dialogue, which will ultimately lead to resolution," Kumar said, adding that some measures like release of political prisoners will help in improving the ground situation in the state.
She said the interlocutors have asked for a list of youth detained by the government during the recent unrest and
those who are still under detention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof