J&K: JKLF chairman, three others detained
Srinagar: JKLF Chairman Mohammad Yasin
Malik and three of his associates were on Thursday detained by the
police after they tried to stage a protest against the arrest
of a youth in Maisuma area of the city.
Malik was taken into preventive custody as he and his
supporters tried to stage a dharna outside Maisuma police
station over the arrest of a youth, Ashiq hussain Dar,
official sources said.
Malik and his associates were taken to police station
Kothibagh and lodged there, they said.
Dar was arrested yesterday after he was found
allegedly involved in beating up of another person.
The JKLF chairman had sought release of the youth but
police said he can be granted bail only by a court as an FIR
had already been registered against him.
Soon after the detention of Malik, markets in Maisuma
and adjoining areas shut down, they said, adding additional
police and paramilitary forces have been deployed in the area
to maintain law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened