J&K: JKLF chairman, three others detained
Srinagar: JKLF Chairman Mohammad Yasin
Malik and three of his associates were on Thursday detained by the
police after they tried to stage a protest against the arrest
of a youth in Maisuma area of the city.
Malik was taken into preventive custody as he and his
supporters tried to stage a dharna outside Maisuma police
station over the arrest of a youth, Ashiq hussain Dar,
official sources said.
Malik and his associates were taken to police station
Kothibagh and lodged there, they said.
Dar was arrested yesterday after he was found
allegedly involved in beating up of another person.
The JKLF chairman had sought release of the youth but
police said he can be granted bail only by a court as an FIR
had already been registered against him.
Soon after the detention of Malik, markets in Maisuma
and adjoining areas shut down, they said, adding additional
police and paramilitary forces have been deployed in the area
to maintain law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials