J&K: JKLF chairman, three others detained
Srinagar: JKLF Chairman Mohammad Yasin
Malik and three of his associates were on Thursday detained by the
police after they tried to stage a protest against the arrest
of a youth in Maisuma area of the city.
Malik was taken into preventive custody as he and his
supporters tried to stage a dharna outside Maisuma police
station over the arrest of a youth, Ashiq hussain Dar,
official sources said.
Malik and his associates were taken to police station
Kothibagh and lodged there, they said.
Dar was arrested yesterday after he was found
allegedly involved in beating up of another person.
The JKLF chairman had sought release of the youth but
police said he can be granted bail only by a court as an FIR
had already been registered against him.
Soon after the detention of Malik, markets in Maisuma
and adjoining areas shut down, they said, adding additional
police and paramilitary forces have been deployed in the area
to maintain law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report