J&K: JKLF chairman, three others detained
Srinagar: JKLF Chairman Mohammad Yasin
Malik and three of his associates were on Thursday detained by the
police after they tried to stage a protest against the arrest
of a youth in Maisuma area of the city.
Malik was taken into preventive custody as he and his
supporters tried to stage a dharna outside Maisuma police
station over the arrest of a youth, Ashiq hussain Dar,
official sources said.
Malik and his associates were taken to police station
Kothibagh and lodged there, they said.
Dar was arrested yesterday after he was found
allegedly involved in beating up of another person.
The JKLF chairman had sought release of the youth but
police said he can be granted bail only by a court as an FIR
had already been registered against him.
Soon after the detention of Malik, markets in Maisuma
and adjoining areas shut down, they said, adding additional
police and paramilitary forces have been deployed in the area
to maintain law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Hindu community not allowed to exercise its Right to Information in Pakistan, activists protest