J&K lawmakers praise airport security staff
Srinagar: With over 25 flights and over 7,000 passengers being handled on an average per day, officials of the Srinagar airport, especially team led by Superintendent of Police Abdul Rashid, has come for a special praise by lawmakers in Jammu and Kashmir.
During a recent privilege motion being moved against the security division of the Jammu and Kashmir police for failure to provide vehicles, the facilities and cooperation being provided by the Airport police was appreciated.
"There has been considerable improvement in facilities provided to the legislators and general public at the Srinagar airport," Member of Legislative Council Ravinder Sharma told a news agency.
Sharma had informed the Legislative Council secretariat that he was not provided security vehicle at the airport sometime back.
"I had not moved a privilege motion but only informed the secretariat about lack of coordination between various wings responsible for providing the vehicle. However, it was later treated as privilege motion," Sharma said.
While the privilege motion was dropped against the security wing after an assurance given by Additional Director General of Police V K Singh that such an incident will not happen in future, members appreciated Rashid saying that the staff of the anti-hijacking squad are very cooperative.
There was some communication gap on the day of incident which had resulted in the security vehicle not being available at the airport, Sharma said.
CPI(M) MLA Mohammad Yousuf Tarigami also praised the security staff at the airport saying they are doing their best in view of the increasing passenger rush at the airport.
At present the Sheikh-ul-Alam Airport in Srinagar handles 7,000 passengers per day with 25 carriers flying every day. This includes two Haj flights these days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened