J&K leaders condemn acid attack incident
Srinagar: Leaders across the political parties in Jammu and Kashmir on Thursday condemned the acid attack on a woman in the city, terming it "anti-human" and "moral degradation" and demanded harshest punishment for the accused involved in the case.
State secretary of CPI(M) MY Tarigami said the incident should be taken as a wake-up call for the government and the society.
"This incident should not be taken in isolation but it reflects the state of crime against women in Kashmir. The police should not take this case causally but instead complete the investigations without delay," Tarigami said in a statement here.
Tarigami said the guilty deserve harshest punishment so that it acts as a deterrent for any such incidents in future and demanded a speedy trial into the case.
Chairman of Hardline faction of Hurriyat, Syed Ali Shah Geelani expressed grief and concern over the attack, terming it "anti-human" and "immoral".
Demanding strictest punishment to the guilty, Geelani said such incidents have no place in the society as it is an attack on humanity.
JKLF chairman Yasin Malik also condemned the incident, saying the attack has exhibited the moral degradation in the society.
A 30-year-old school teacher suffered injuries when she was attacked with acid by a youth in the city`s posh locality on Srinagar airport road yesterday.
The youth identified as Riyaz Ahmad was later arrested by the police.
The woman was admitted to SMHS hospital here and her condition is said to be stable.
Meanwhile, the Jammu and Kashmir High Court Bar Association today decided not to provide legal aid to the youth, arrested in connection with the incident.
"The Bar Association has decided that the accused person will not be provided any legal aid," a statement of the association said after a meeting of the Executive Committee here.
The association said all the legal aid will be provided to the victim so that the real culprits are punished in accordance with law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Hubby Rohit Roy lashes out at wife Dimpy Ganguly’s haters who trolled her for getting pregnant before marriage
- Bollywood celebrities recall Rahul Dev Burman on his 77th birthday
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet to decide final payout for central government employees on June 29
- Apple cheers 2016 Pride celebration with a special rainbow Apple Watch!
- Heavy rainfall expected in Vidarbha, Telangana, Andhra; Monsoon set to enter Delhi, Punjab, Haryana