J&K legislator to move resolution seeking Afzal Guru`s remains
Srinagar: Independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid on Sunday said he would move a resolution in the coming session of the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly for handing over of the mortal remains of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru to his family.
"I will bring a resolution in the coming session of the Assembly for handing over of the mortal remains of Afzal Guru to his family," the MLA from Langate told reporters here.
"Earlier, I had brought a resolution in the Assembly seeking clemency for him (Guru) but I failed. I apologise to the people of Kashmir for not being able to save him," the legislator said.
"My resolution was sabotaged and I failed," he said adding he intented to bring two more resolutions -- one to seek the mortal remains of JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat and second for abolishing the death penalty.
The MLA asked mainstream political parties to support his resolutions in the Assembly.
"I have called for a meeting of all mainstream parties tomorrow at my residence to chalk out a joint strategy in this regard," he said.
Rashid said if the Centre did not hand over the Guru`s remains, he would resign from the Assembly.
"I am in touch with the PDP and other parties and if the mortal remains are not returned, then let us all resign," the MLA said.
He demanded naming of commercial Lal Chowk in Guru’s name.
Guru was hanged in Tihar jail in Delhi last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened