J&K legislator to move resolution seeking Afzal Guru`s remains
Srinagar: Independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid on Sunday said he would move a resolution in the coming session of the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly for handing over of the mortal remains of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru to his family.
"I will bring a resolution in the coming session of the Assembly for handing over of the mortal remains of Afzal Guru to his family," the MLA from Langate told reporters here.
"Earlier, I had brought a resolution in the Assembly seeking clemency for him (Guru) but I failed. I apologise to the people of Kashmir for not being able to save him," the legislator said.
"My resolution was sabotaged and I failed," he said adding he intented to bring two more resolutions -- one to seek the mortal remains of JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat and second for abolishing the death penalty.
The MLA asked mainstream political parties to support his resolutions in the Assembly.
"I have called for a meeting of all mainstream parties tomorrow at my residence to chalk out a joint strategy in this regard," he said.
Rashid said if the Centre did not hand over the Guru`s remains, he would resign from the Assembly.
"I am in touch with the PDP and other parties and if the mortal remains are not returned, then let us all resign," the MLA said.
He demanded naming of commercial Lal Chowk in Guru’s name.
Guru was hanged in Tihar jail in Delhi last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?