J&K legislator to move resolution seeking Afzal Guru`s remains
Srinagar: Independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid on Sunday said he would move a resolution in the coming session of the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly for handing over of the mortal remains of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru to his family.
"I will bring a resolution in the coming session of the Assembly for handing over of the mortal remains of Afzal Guru to his family," the MLA from Langate told reporters here.
"Earlier, I had brought a resolution in the Assembly seeking clemency for him (Guru) but I failed. I apologise to the people of Kashmir for not being able to save him," the legislator said.
"My resolution was sabotaged and I failed," he said adding he intented to bring two more resolutions -- one to seek the mortal remains of JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat and second for abolishing the death penalty.
The MLA asked mainstream political parties to support his resolutions in the Assembly.
"I have called for a meeting of all mainstream parties tomorrow at my residence to chalk out a joint strategy in this regard," he said.
Rashid said if the Centre did not hand over the Guru`s remains, he would resign from the Assembly.
"I am in touch with the PDP and other parties and if the mortal remains are not returned, then let us all resign," the MLA said.
He demanded naming of commercial Lal Chowk in Guru’s name.
Guru was hanged in Tihar jail in Delhi last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 85 seats, BJP in 53; counting underway
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Out of 10 civic bodies, Shiv Sena ahead in BMC and Thane; BJP in 7, NCP in Pimpri Chinchwad