J&K legislator to move resolution seeking Afzal Guru`s remains
Srinagar: Independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid on Sunday said he would move a resolution in the coming session of the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly for handing over of the mortal remains of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru to his family.
"I will bring a resolution in the coming session of the Assembly for handing over of the mortal remains of Afzal Guru to his family," the MLA from Langate told reporters here.
"Earlier, I had brought a resolution in the Assembly seeking clemency for him (Guru) but I failed. I apologise to the people of Kashmir for not being able to save him," the legislator said.
"My resolution was sabotaged and I failed," he said adding he intented to bring two more resolutions -- one to seek the mortal remains of JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat and second for abolishing the death penalty.
The MLA asked mainstream political parties to support his resolutions in the Assembly.
"I have called for a meeting of all mainstream parties tomorrow at my residence to chalk out a joint strategy in this regard," he said.
Rashid said if the Centre did not hand over the Guru`s remains, he would resign from the Assembly.
"I am in touch with the PDP and other parties and if the mortal remains are not returned, then let us all resign," the MLA said.
He demanded naming of commercial Lal Chowk in Guru’s name.
Guru was hanged in Tihar jail in Delhi last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people