J&K: Locals, police clash over power shortage
Srinagar: Locals protesting power shortage
on Thursday clashed with police in north Kashmir`s Baramulla
district, officials said.
Protesting severe electricity shortage, residents blocked
Srinagar-Muzafarrabad highway in Delina area, they said.
The situation aggravated when the protesters pelted
stones at an army convoy passing by, following which the
security personnel fired several rounds in air to disperse the
mob, the officials said.
No one was injured in the firing, they said. However, eye
witnesses claimed six protesters were injured as police
resorted to baton charge for clearing the national highway.
Kashmir has been facing protests over power shortage as
residents face a harsh winter with night temperature plunging
below freezing point.
A student was killed and two others injured on January 2
after Central Industrial Security Force personnel opened fire
on a mob which was trying to rampage NHPC property in protest
against acute power shortage in Uri town of Baramulla
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened