J&K: Locals, police clash over power shortage
Srinagar: Locals protesting power shortage
on Thursday clashed with police in north Kashmir`s Baramulla
district, officials said.
Protesting severe electricity shortage, residents blocked
Srinagar-Muzafarrabad highway in Delina area, they said.
The situation aggravated when the protesters pelted
stones at an army convoy passing by, following which the
security personnel fired several rounds in air to disperse the
mob, the officials said.
No one was injured in the firing, they said. However, eye
witnesses claimed six protesters were injured as police
resorted to baton charge for clearing the national highway.
Kashmir has been facing protests over power shortage as
residents face a harsh winter with night temperature plunging
below freezing point.
A student was killed and two others injured on January 2
after Central Industrial Security Force personnel opened fire
on a mob which was trying to rampage NHPC property in protest
against acute power shortage in Uri town of Baramulla
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh