J&K: Locals, police clash over power shortage
Srinagar: Locals protesting power shortage
on Thursday clashed with police in north Kashmir`s Baramulla
district, officials said.
Protesting severe electricity shortage, residents blocked
Srinagar-Muzafarrabad highway in Delina area, they said.
The situation aggravated when the protesters pelted
stones at an army convoy passing by, following which the
security personnel fired several rounds in air to disperse the
mob, the officials said.
No one was injured in the firing, they said. However, eye
witnesses claimed six protesters were injured as police
resorted to baton charge for clearing the national highway.
Kashmir has been facing protests over power shortage as
residents face a harsh winter with night temperature plunging
below freezing point.
A student was killed and two others injured on January 2
after Central Industrial Security Force personnel opened fire
on a mob which was trying to rampage NHPC property in protest
against acute power shortage in Uri town of Baramulla
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview