J&K: Militants gun down policeman
Srinagar: Militants on Tuesday struck twice within
nine hours in Sopore town, killing a policeman and injuring a
Panchayat election candidate in the north Kashmir`s Baramulla
In the first incident, the ultras shot dead constable
Mohammad Shafi Dar at Tujjar Sharief in Sopore, 55 km from
here, at 10.15 am, officials said.
Dar, who was shot at from point blank range, was rushed to
sub-district hospital Sopore where he succumbed.
Security fores cordoned off the area and launched a
manhunt for the assailants but no arrest could be made till
late evening, they said.
Senior police officers, including Inspector General of
Police SM Sahai, visited the bereaved family and were present
when the last rites of the slain constable were performed.
Militants struck again at around 6.30 pm and shot at
Mohammad Maqbool Bhat in the foot at Hajam Mohalla.
Bhat, 65, had filed nomination papers for the post of
Panch in the ongoing elections, which will be held on May 25.
He was referred to the Bone and Joint Hospital here, they said
adding he was out of danger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read