J&K: Militants gun down policeman
Srinagar: Militants on Tuesday struck twice within
nine hours in Sopore town, killing a policeman and injuring a
Panchayat election candidate in the north Kashmir`s Baramulla
In the first incident, the ultras shot dead constable
Mohammad Shafi Dar at Tujjar Sharief in Sopore, 55 km from
here, at 10.15 am, officials said.
Dar, who was shot at from point blank range, was rushed to
sub-district hospital Sopore where he succumbed.
Security fores cordoned off the area and launched a
manhunt for the assailants but no arrest could be made till
late evening, they said.
Senior police officers, including Inspector General of
Police SM Sahai, visited the bereaved family and were present
when the last rites of the slain constable were performed.
Militants struck again at around 6.30 pm and shot at
Mohammad Maqbool Bhat in the foot at Hajam Mohalla.
Bhat, 65, had filed nomination papers for the post of
Panch in the ongoing elections, which will be held on May 25.
He was referred to the Bone and Joint Hospital here, they said
adding he was out of danger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP