J&K Minister stresses on reducing NMR
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Minister of State for Health, Shabir Ahmad Khan on Saturday underscored the need for reducing Neonatal Mortality rate (NMR) in the state by taking concrete health care measures.
"There is a need for reducing NMR in the state by taking concrete health care measures," the minister said at the inaugural function of a day-long workshop organised by the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) J&K.
He stressed upon the concerned authorities to reach out at grassroot level for better implementation of NRHM which guarantees to provide quality health care facilities to those in rural areas.
Khan said high neonatal mortality has been area of great concern in the state. Though the infant mortality rate has decreased from 52 in 2006 to 41 in 2012 but the neonatal mortality in the state is still higher as compared to national level, he added.
He stressed on the need to focus on decreasing the neonatal mortality by improving the facility based and home based newborn care.
The facility Newborn Care is being improved by setting up of Sick Newborn Care Units at district level, stabilisation units at Community Health Centre level and Baby Care Units at delivery points including Primary Health Centres and Sub Centres, he said.
The Minister said the Home Based Newborn Care which will prove to be a key intervention in decreasing the neonatal mortality is being carried out with the help of Accredited Social Health Activist at community level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire