J&K minister’s aides beat up traffic cop for doing duty
Srinagar: In a clear case of highhandedness and misuse of power, Jammu and Kashmir Minister for Irrigation and Flood Control Taj Mohiuddin’s PSOs brutally assaulted a traffic policeman on duty for daring to stop the minister’s cavalcade for jumping signal.
The incident happened yesterday afternoon at a traffic signal in the busy Lal Chowk area of the city. Traffic Sub Inspector Mohan Lal was on duty at the TRC crossing near Zero Bridge when the cavalcade of Mohiuddin jumped the traffic signal.
Lal stooped the cavalcade for violating the rule. He then asked the driver of the lead vehicle as to why he broke the rule, which had lead to disruption in traffic flow causing problems to others.
“I asked him (driver) why he did not stop at the signal when even the Chief Minister and the police chief of the state do so? Then, suddenly, to PSOs alighted from the vehicle and started to manhandle me and my team, with one of them hitting on my face with the butt of his AK-47 rifle,” Lal said.
Later, a case was filed against the PSO and another security officer - identified as Mohammad Shafi and Abbas - for "assaulting government servant on duty".
Lal was hospitalised with severe injury in his left eye, he is undergoing treatment.
Reacting to the incident, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah tweeted: “The cops who beat the traffic police officer have been arrested & booked. I have asked for the strongest possible action under law.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing