J&K minister’s aides beat up traffic cop for doing duty
Srinagar: In a clear case of highhandedness and misuse of power, Jammu and Kashmir Minister for Irrigation and Flood Control Taj Mohiuddin’s PSOs brutally assaulted a traffic policeman on duty for daring to stop the minister’s cavalcade for jumping signal.
The incident happened yesterday afternoon at a traffic signal in the busy Lal Chowk area of the city. Traffic Sub Inspector Mohan Lal was on duty at the TRC crossing near Zero Bridge when the cavalcade of Mohiuddin jumped the traffic signal.
Lal stooped the cavalcade for violating the rule. He then asked the driver of the lead vehicle as to why he broke the rule, which had lead to disruption in traffic flow causing problems to others.
“I asked him (driver) why he did not stop at the signal when even the Chief Minister and the police chief of the state do so? Then, suddenly, to PSOs alighted from the vehicle and started to manhandle me and my team, with one of them hitting on my face with the butt of his AK-47 rifle,” Lal said.
Later, a case was filed against the PSO and another security officer - identified as Mohammad Shafi and Abbas - for "assaulting government servant on duty".
Lal was hospitalised with severe injury in his left eye, he is undergoing treatment.
Reacting to the incident, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah tweeted: “The cops who beat the traffic police officer have been arrested & booked. I have asked for the strongest possible action under law.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof